25 October 2010

On Mormons in Politics

As we enter the final days before midterm elections, updates regarding prominent LDS politicians and political commentators pepper my Facebook home page throughout the day. The two most common concern Glenn Beck and Harry Reid (who is the Senator in my beloved Nevada):

"I'm so embarrassed Glenn Beck is Mormon."

"I'm so embarrassed Harry Reid is Mormon."


Of course there are others that embarrass my fellow Mormons: Mitt Romney, Orrin Hatch, Bob Bennett, Scott Matheson. The list is limited, yet significant.

In general, these comments also extend to other public figures: Julie (from The Real World--does that date me?), Tyson from Survivor, Julianne Hough from DWTS...

These comments bother me. A lot. And what bothers me more is that I used to make them, too.

You see, if I were to walk into my ward, I could pick out who has differing political beliefs or who drinks alcohol or who is not attending meetings regularly or who wears immodest clothing. But I don't. And when I see those people, I never never think "I'm so embarrassed they are Mormon." I think, "I'm glad to see them here."

Of course being in the public eye means greater scrutiny on personal choices. I'm just sad to hear my fellow Mormons are so embarrassed of one another. I'm sure if my life were to be held up to public scrutiny, there would be much embarrassment there, too. But I'm doing the best I can, as I'm sure many of us are.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I whole-heartedly agree!!

The M's said...

What a great post! Love the sinner and hate the sin. If only more people were less critical of others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue!

heather said...

I agree, and you know what's funny I always think of Julie from the real world and think back to how I used to do that when she was on the show.

Tiara said...

Well said :)

Ali said...

Wow, you are right on. Thanks for this!!!

We are... said...

That's funny...I don't even know who those people are... (well besides many of the political figures). But I know what you mean. And I would certainly not think I'm perfect either. Never would I be embarrassed they are Mormon in the slightest, but unfortunately, I still look at them and see an imperfect person. Certainly, I have a beam in my own eye. I hope someday I can just look at them, and everyone, and always see them as Jesus does. Long way from there, but still hopeful!

P.S. Loving those pictures of Jonas. So fun that he loves water so much! And your daughter is a beauty. Really glad she has been so much easier for you!

Steve said...

(Steve says) you should be embarrassed of Harry Reid...