22 October 2010

Jonas Turns Two in Grand Fashion



When Jonas turned one, I had these grand plans of a birthday party just for one-year-olds. There were between 10-15 in his acquaintance, and I thought a one-year-old party would have been so much fun since the little ones are generally neglected at birthday parties.

Well, as it turned out, we couldn't find a weekend that worked for a few months. And then as the months dragged on, I ended up committing the cardinal motherhood sin: I did not throw Jonas a birthday party. No cake on the face photo for his first birthday (though truth be told, he probably wouldn't have even liked cake).

As his second birthday rolled around, it was appearing that I had not learned my lesson. Sure, we went to the race track, but it wasn't an actual birthday with candles and singing. There was just too much to do and I couldn't plan on a party when I was having a baby any day.

Thankfully, my mom saved the day. As usual. A month and a half late, we pulled together a birthday party perfect for our little man. Michelle came over and helped me make a car cake, as cars are his obsession of choice. We had Elmo partyware, a random selection of food, and while I planned a few carnival games, we scrapped those and just turned on the hose in the driveway. It was everything he loved all rolled into one day.

We ate cake, he blew out the candles (and loved it), we sang Happy Birthday to him despite his protests (Jonas hates being sung to. His least favorite song of all time is Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star), he opened presents, and the afternoon was filled with laughter and good friends. All the requirements for a success.

But just when I thought his party couldn't get any more perfect for him, Michelle and her girls did the remarkable. They gave my children a bath. Oh Hallelujah! Jonas and Mimi both love their baths and I love not having to give them one, so it felt like a birthday present for me too.

Overall, the party was absolutely right for my boy. And while I had lots of fun putting it together, my track record suggests I will procrastinate most of their birthdays until it's too late. Unless of course my mom comes in town. Perhaps we ought to make that a tradition.






















2 comments:

heather said...

happy birthday Jonas!!! Seriously, that cake looks so good. You can tell that he loved it too.

Josh and Anne said...

Happy Birthday Jonas! Jen-we miss you all, how are you? Your babies are beautiful. Miss and love ya!