17 June 2010

I'm a Screamer

I was a thrower in high school--shotput and disc. Coach Panik was often frustrated with my lack of oomph, so I spent a full 2-hour practice only working on form and grunting. And shouting, yelling, whatever. As long as it was loud. It was completely unnatural for me, but he sensed some inner fierceness that I was unwilling to showcase. After one full practice, I could grunt mildly.

The next day at practice, I was ready to throw again. Nope. Just form and grunting again. Bah. How boring and useless. It doesn't give me any extra power or advantage.

Today I gave birth to a 7 pound 12 ounce baby. Without an epidural or medication of any kind. Let's just say Coach Panik would be proud. I found my inner fierceness today.

4 comments:

heather said...

Yes you did! I'm proud of you girl! Congrats!

Frugal or Cheap? said...

Soooooooo happy for you all! That inner fierceness is empowering and frightening all at the same time, isn't it?

Jennifer said...

You rock, Jen! I am so proud of you! You're my hero!

elopingcamel said...

Congrats! That is awesome. Also, I greatly enjoyed the visual of you practicing screaming at shotput practice.