11 December 2008

Thanksgiving Part I: Driving to NB

My absolute favorite tradition we have as a small family is our annual Thanksgiving break vacation. When we moved to Texas and no longer had our families to spend the extended weekend with, we went on an impromptu road trip to Corpus Christi, which included camping on the beach, touring the USS Lexington, and visiting obscure little places like the Selena monument and the Asian Cultures Museum.

The following year, we went to Nashville to meet Talese (which included seeing the Rockettes, the Parthenon and dinner with Catherine's family, Little Rock AR, and a few other stops during the 13-hour drive).

The original plans for this year were to go to South Padre Island, but yet again, my efforts were thwarted (this is the 3rd time in as many months that we've tried to go down there, but hurricanes and inclement weather are successfully keeping us away). We quickly revised the morning we left and took off for New Braunfels.

Prior to leaving, all I knew about the city was that it was outside of San Antonio and had some big caves nearby. Now I'm so delighted South Padre fell through. I LOVE New Braunfels. Can we move there please?

Jonas started the trip by discovering that shoelaces are his new favorite toy. They kept him occupied for the 2.5 hour drive.

A quick stop in Schulenberg, which has a charming little pecan store.


Next stop--Kirby's in Seguin for lunch. Even though the sign says, "Best Burgers in Texas. Seriously." don't be fooled. They are just so-so. But their sign also boasts that the shakes are locally owned. That's got to count for something.

Jonas first time in a big baby chair.

This was an exciting find: a "beware of alcohol consumption while pregnant" sign in a hole-in-the-wall burger joint...in the men's bathroom.

Our primary reason for stopping in Seguin was the Pape Pecan Company. It typically has tours of the factory and the orchard, which I would have loved to see, but the tours were not operating that day.

However, we did hear about their killer gift shop before arriving and we were not disappointed. We couldn't have found better stuff at a garage sale.

Look closely. This was my favorite find.

More NB excitement to follow. Stay tuned.

PS On a totally unrelated note, I played Chicken with Fate last night. I was driving on the 610. In rush hour. In the snow. With Houston drivers. I won, but just barely.

3 comments:

Three bucks and a doe! said...

Jennifer!!! Hey, I am SO glad that you found my blog! You are so cute and your little boy is adorable...I just want to squeeze those cute cheeks of his! I will totally invite you to view our blog! :) I am so glad that you are doing great!

Blarney Girl said...

NB is awesome, but I always thought of it more as a summer destination because of Schlitterbahn. It's also in close proximity to the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers, which are awesome to tube down. I've camped at Guadalupe State Park and had a blast. Did you get a chance to stop at Buccees on the way there or back? It's in Luling (halfway) and has the BEST restrooms anywhere. Not to mention all the cool goodies and treats you can buy there.

Jeanette said...

We love NB!!! Jim and I want to buy land out there and build a weekend/holiday home. I always wondered about the burgers there. Thanks for the review.