27 October 2008

Square Foot Gardening


Earlier, I reviewed Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening. Apparently, Bartholomew wrote a revised edition a couple of years ago that I was able to get my hands on. I liked the original, but All New Square Foot Gardening is far better. It's less technical and more importantly for me, it simplifies the process of gardening even more. We have yet to harvest anything, but the process in building our garden has excited our green thumbs. For documentation purposes (and if anyone is interested in building their own--there are ways to do it even if you live in an apartment without any land), here is how we went about building our square foot garden.

Building the planter (the book touches briefly on planters, but it focuses on building the gardens lower to the ground). Even though it requires extra watering, we prefer a planter since we're trying to sell our house and don't want to make ourselves less marketable.


Drilling drainage holes

Spacing of drainage holes

Mixing up 5 types of compost

Combining (in equal parts) compost, peat moss, and coarse vermiculite

Do you see that school on my shirt? Bill and Melinda Gates just visited and observed the teachers there (which is where I work). Cool, huh?

All mixed

Up close

Ta da!

Soaking the seeds

Getting the seedlings started

Romaine lettuce

Beets

Arugula

Hopefully more to come.

3 comments:

The M's said...

Awesome guys!!! That is a wonderful idea. I would like to try to get Ryan to help me with something like that. I've wanted to plant a garden for a while now, but our dog Astro would just eat it up.

The Hunsakers said...

Way to go! You guys look like you put in some hard work.

Kathleen said...

What your moving?? Love your garden maybe in my free time(ha) next year, David and I can try one.