25 October 2008

Fort Worth Trip Continued

While in Fort Worth, we checked out Curly's Frozen Custard (we love frozen custard), the twice-daily cattle drive at the Stockyards, the Botanic Gardens, and ate at Uncle Julio's with Niki.


Patrick says this will be our backyard someday.





Our 4.5 hour drive home took 9 hours because Jonas was not keen on sitting in the car. This afforded us quite a few stops where we found these Texas gems:

Corsicana had a very stern warning about stealing gas. No, you won't go to jail. You will lose your license, which is far worse. People may be willing to steal gas, but they would never go as far as driving without a license. Phew. I bet the gas station owners sleep a little easier at night.


The Conroe Outlets leave much to be desired. Once we passed this window display of a pink sweatsuit, I said "I want that" (Napoleon Dynamite, anyone?). Just imagine the treasures that could be found inside if this was the best they had to offer.

By the time we made it to Huntsville, it was a little too late/dark to visit the world's tallest statue of an American hero (Sam Houston). It is 67 feet tall with a 10-foot granite base. Not too shabby.

On a more successful statue note, we saw this Tribute to American Statesmanship off the freeway a few months ago and had to find them. It took some work because they are in a totally obscure spot (and I'm not talking about the Presidential Park off 288). If anyone sends me a picture of themselves in front of them, I will give you a small prize.

Finally asleep. We thought we would have to stay at a hotel in the Woodlands.

Oh yes, and Jonas learned to drive just outside of Huntsville. We're very proud of our advanced baby.

3 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

I'm sad you weren't able to see my 3rd Great Uncle on your trip! :) I may not have any Mormon Pioneer heritage, but I definitely gots me some Texas Pioneer heritage!

Oh, and please let Patrick know that his services will be needed in my backyard once he's through with y'all's! :D

Jen said...

I've seen the Tribute to American Statesmanship, but have not had the inclination to try to find it on the road. I think the view from the freeway is fine.

Jennifer said...

You guys have way too much fun. There is nothing for us to drive to around here. Of course, if you moved back we could drive over to see you guys. Hurry up and sell your house already.