10 September 2008

Recipe Review: Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

I have been looking online for whole wheat pizza dough and couldn't find quite what I was looking for, so this recipe is an experimental hybrid of a few different recipes I found. It turned out well enough.

INGREDIENTS.
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 c warm water
1 T yeast
1 T olive oil
1 tsp salt
3 1/4 c whole wheat flour

Mix:
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 c warm water

Sprinkle 1 T yeast on top. Let stand for 10 minutes (until foamy)

Stir into yeast mixture:
1 T olive oil
1 tsp salt

Mix in around 2-3 c whole wheat flour
Knead dough for 10 minutes, using another 1/2 c-1 c flour. I typically end up using about 3 1/4 c total (more if I'm using white flour)

Place dough in oiled bowl, turning once to coat.
Rise 1 hour

Punch down and form into a tight ball. Rise another 45 minutes (until doubled)

Roll out until it will no longer stretch further. Pull edges while rotating. Place on a well-oiled pizza pan.
Bake 5 minutes at 500º F.
Add sauce and desired toppings
Bake 10 minutes at 425º F

VARIATIONS.
* I added whatever seasonings I had on hand to the olive oil mixture (red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic powder, spaghetti sauce mix)
* I replaced 1/2 c flour with wheat germ
* You can use the remaining dough to make breadsticks (Bake 7 minutes at 450º)

SAUCE.
Again, this was experimental. I used 8 oz. tomato sauce, a can of tomato paste, 2 tsp sugar, and whatever seasonings I could find.

YIELD: 2 regular size crusts or 1 large crust

No comments: