29 September 2008

Book Review: Square Foot Gardening

Square Foot Gardening
By: Mel Bartholomew

For a reason unbeknownst to myself, I have felt a strong urge to begin gardening. For the last 10 years, I have managed to excuse myself from this popular pastime with a plethora of legitimate and/or ridiculous excuses--bad allergies, zero desire, boring, too hot outside, laziness, worms are gross (soooo gross), etc., etc., etc. In fact, I still have a number of perfectly good excuses that will not be given their proper respects because I am affording gardening one opportunity to prove itself to me.

This book was incredibly informative and focuses on how the author (a former engineer) made gardening more efficient. Instead of rows, he places plants in 4x4 squares and breaks them into 1 foot areas. He explains how to mulch (I never knew I could use that word in a sentence), create a compost pile, grow from seeds or transplants, how to be successful in an apartment or small area, and everything else a beginner needs to combat all of their excuses. I chose this method of gardening partly because I knew it was a method that has been taken to many developing countries in order to help the people grow their own crops in a limited space. I figured if it was acceptable for them, perhaps it would be a good idea for us as well.

The actual review of the book will need to come later. It seems like an excellent so far, but if my garden does not work, I may be less inclined to recommend it.

To learn more about squarefootgardening, visit here.

1 comment:

The Huffs said...

I know many people who follow this book. I hear great things about it. Good luck!