17 September 2008

Blue Bell Creamery

I have many more thoughts on Hurricane Ike and its aftermath, but will save those for another day (or perhaps just for my journal) since I am definitely in need of something lighter at the moment.

Before Ike disrupted our normal lives and imprinted the horrors of a natural disaster into our minds, we were as carefree as ever. Last Tuesday, Janae, Reed, Jonas, and I drove out to Brenham, Texas to visit the Blue Bell factory. If/when we leave Texas, I suspect this frozen goodness in a cardboard carton will be the object of my desire. It will likely become the companion to the current hole in my stomach that can only be satiated by a Cafe Rio sweet pork burrito (although the upside is that if I'm desperate/rich enough, Blue Bell ships around the country for a hefty price--$119 for 4 half gallons).

The babes did a great job on the tour, smiling at the fellow ice-cream lovers and saving the fussiness for the end-of-tour sample. I, on the other hand, did not fare so well. There was 18,000 pounds of ice-cream in one of the rooms and the guide had to prevent me from jumping off the observation deck and into one of the monstrous vats.

Patiently waiting. I'd better take advantage of this now before the screams of "I want, I want, I need, I need" supersede rational action in about a year or so.
I tried Snickerdoodle and Banana Pudding. Janae tried Candy Jar and two others (remind me which ones, Janae)



Reed is so stinkin' cute!

6 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

I love Blue Bell Ice Cream. I grew up in the town just south of Brenham, so it was seriously cheap to buy. Needless to say, there was always several half gallons stashed in our freezer. Many a frantic trip was made to the grocery store because we had gotten down to our last half gallon!! LOL A sad, but true story!

jessica said...

i love blue bell!

Jake, Sarah and Jackson said...

That ice cream looks sooo good! Reading this makes me want to go out and buy another carton so I can eat it all by myself.

B. said...

looks like a good 'ol fashioned Belmont reunion! (not THE Belmont . . . the ghetto Belmont)

Jeanette said...

When I was at the Y a bunch of Texan students got together and had a party and had gallons of Blue Bell flown in. Yummy.

You'll have to go again when Jonas is older. We took the girls when they were preschoolers and they loved it. Mainly because they knew they got free ice cream at the end. :)

Chris, Heather, Gabe, and Marissa said...

That ice-cream looks yummy. Are you going to send me some? J/k
Love all the pictures, and can't believe how big Jonas has gotten.