05 August 2008

Thanks Edouard

School closings
Below are closings as reported to Eyewitness News by schools in the Houston area.
YES Preparatory School: Closed Tuesday

For those of you who don't know, I am currently working for YES Prep Public Schools in their Teaching Excellence Program as a mentor to two first-year teachers. Helping these new teachers makes me miss being in the classroom, but I love being with Jonas too. I'm grateful I can still stay in the education field, if only in an advisory capacity.

I am especially thankful I get to work at YES Prep. One of my professional dreams is to open my own charter school in an under-served community; YES is currently the best model I have seen so far. Check this out:

MISSION
YES Prep Public Schools exists to increase the number of low-income Houstonians who graduate from a four-year college prepared to compete in the global marketplace and committed to improving disadvantaged communities.

YES PREP PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Ranked #38 of Top US High Schools by US News & World Report
Ranked #1 public school in Houston by Newsweek, U.S. News & World Report and the Houston Chronicle.
8 years in a row: 100 percent of YES Prep’s graduating seniors were accepted into 4-year colleges.
It's free
YES PREP STUDENTS
88% of YES students are first generation college-bound
80% of YES students are economically disadvantaged
95% of YES students are Hispanic or African American
Most students enter YES at least one grade level behind in math and English


I am a lucky woman.

4 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

Those are some pretty cool stats!! I've never heard of YES Prep, but they sound awesome!

mojo said...

what a nice change.

Mrs. H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. H said...

You didn't tell me you decided to work for YES!! I'm so excited. Who are your two mentees? Is that even the right word? Anyway, will I be seeing you around YP Lee? I certainly hope so. I miss ya!

Also, keep the pics of Jonas coming. I love, love, love looking at the little guy. He's too cute for words.