29 August 2008

Recipe Review: Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

My dear friend Sarah occasionally posts recipes on her blog (thank you!), which is where I acquired this one.

PROS:
1) A great way to get rid of that old banana
2) Quick, on-the-go snack (and a quick recipe, too)
3) Relatively healthy alternative to banana bread

CONS:
1) almond extract and molasses flavor is fairly strong if you're not partial to them

VARIATIONS:
Patrick doesn't like almond extract, so I substituted vanilla the second time I made them. I also replaced the molasses with an extra T of honey and enjoyed them more the second time around.

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

Dry Ingredients--mix in a medium bowl and set aside
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
2 T wheat germ (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Wet Ingredients--mix
2 egg whites
1 banana, mashed
1/2 c plain, nonfat yogurt
1/2 c applesauce
1 T honey
1 T molasses
1 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 375º F. Grease muffin tins with cooking spray.
Gradually beat dry ingredient mixture into wet ingredients. Stir until well blended. Batter should be lumpy. Pour into muffin tins and sprinkle with oats.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 muffins

Nutrition Facts.

Cals: 80, Fat: 0.33 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 89 mg, Carbs: 16 g, Sugars: 6 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 3 g

1 comment:

Jake, Sarah and Jackson said...

I actually just made another batch this morning. Jen I am glad that you liked them even though they aren't as flavorful as normal banana muffins or bread. I love them just because I don't feel guilty about eating them or giving them to Jackson. Good pointer about subbing an extra tablespoon of honey for the molasses. I will have to try that next time.