14 November 2006

PDAS

The results are in...Exceeds Expectations!!!

My principal conducted my PDAS (Professional Development and Appraisal System) Thursday, which determines if I am qualified to teach. This brief, 45 minute evaluation determines the entire year! Most importantly, it dictates if I will receive certification since I am on a probationary certificate. I was shocked to find out that she was conducting it so early since my teaching experience began in August and my entire year would be based on my 2.5 months experience in the teaching field. I figure it is better to get it over with early and I'm glad it is over.

The rubric is as follows: Exceeds Expectations, Proficient, Below Expectations, and Satisfactory. My principal told me not to expect anything higher than Proficient since I am a first year teacher (a newbie as some of the others fondly refer to me as). It is the same scale that all teachers are graded on so I should be very pleased with a Proficient rating.

I received my results yesterday. I was given "Exceeds Expectations" in three domains and "Proficient" in the remaining two. My principal said I received one of the highest evaluations she has ever given to a first year teacher, which of course left me beaming. This was exciting to hear because the pressure to impress my principal is off. Unfortunately, the pressure to pass TAKS (state standardized test) is even more overwhelming since my principal is expecting me to perform like a veteran. I'm confident I can do it though and am excited to see how the year will turn out.

:D This is me smiling after I received my results

2 comments:

natalie said...

I am really not surprised about these results Jen. Though I have not ever seen you as Mrs. Hunt in action, I have much to believe that you are a wonderful teacher. Nice job on the race too. You are the WOMAN!

kt said...

Congratulations, Jen. You are awesome and this is consistent with your brilliant abilities and your big heart :)